The IIC was founded in March 2014 by the companies AT & T Inc., Cisco Systems Inc., General Electric, Intel Cooperation and IBM Corporation, to bring together the technologies and organizations for the growth of the Industrial Internet. Its members include small and large technology innovators, researchers, universities and governments.
This goal of the IIC is to:
- Drive innovation through the creation of new industry use cases and testbeds for real-world applications
- Define and develop the reference architecture and frameworks necessary for interoperability
- Influence the global development standards process for internet and industrial systems
- Facilitate open forums to share and exchange real-world ideas, practices, lessons, and insights
- Build confidence around new and innovative approaches to security.
In the framework of the IIC membership of the Technische Universität Darmstadt the DiK participates in the regular meetings of the members and leads discussions on new approaches in the context of Industrial Internet. Currently (as of March 2015) the IIC represents 141 members from industry, government and academia.